Acne (Acne vulgaris) is one of the most common skin conditions in Australia and arguably one of the most emotionally distressing conditions, especially for young people. With 85% of Australians developing acne at some stage in their lives, Acne treatment is an issue that impacts most of us at some point.
- Acne appears when hair follicles (pores) become clogged with excess dead skin cells and sebum (oil that naturally keeps the skin from drying out).
- Normally, dead skin cells rise to the surface of the pore and the body naturally exfoliates these cells away. However when the sebaceous glands become over active, producing excess sebum, the dead skin cells stick together and block the pores. This creates the perfect conditions for the Propionibacterium acnes (P acnes) bacteria to thrive, resulting in the redness and inflammation of whitehead and acne cysts.
- Acne most commonly affects the face, back and chest, as this is where sebaceous glands are largest and most active.
- The causes of acne are largely associated with genetics and hormones, however in some cases, external factors (such as environmental conditions, medications, cosmetics), can impact on the severity of acne breakouts.
ACNE TREATMENT SOLUTIONS
As acne is a spectrum condition, ranging from mild to severe, Complete Skin Solutions offers a range of treatment options dependant on the severity and persistency of the acne. In most cases, a combination of treatments is recommended.
- Light based treatments such as Photo Rejuvenation (with IPL) and Omnilux Medical, are valuable in killing the acne causing bacteria and helping the skin to rejuvenate.
- Corrective Peels and Microdermabrasion can assist to exfoliate the surface of the skin and unclog the pores.
- Medical grade skincare is another essential tool for treating and managing acne and our Nurses and Dermal Therapists can prescribe you with the most effective products for your condition.
- Fractional laser and Micro-needling can help with acne scarring, however the best treatment for acne scarring is prevention. Seek professional advice for acne early.
- The Doctors at Complete Skin Solutions work closely with Dr Benjamin Carew from Central Queensland Dermatology and can provide a referral if required.
Ask our team about our tailored Acne treatment packages, which offers a compliment of treatments at a packaged rate.